10.02.2008

Ooh Say can U seeeee?

Hola yah uuuh you know perhaps when in tour mode off of paved roads, or in caves or something, I'll feel more isolated when meeting people, but out here in slowboken, despite hour after hour of solo time, it seems as if I'm pretty much a perpetual gabber with any and everyone. Who knows, aaanyway since the StompArillaz have been so generous to me, I thought it pertinent to mention some equally good company encountered along the way. In reverse order.

Pinedale, Wy in the midst of a natural gas boom is seeing the hordes of gas workers and their cute lil trucks renting out whole hotels for five years at a time an so forth. None the less, when I visited as a young pup, The Great Outdoors Outfitters were the shop I remember and the proprietors came and visited in Vermont once upon a long while back. In any event, despite traffic diversions and such, the first store I found upon entering Pinedale this afternoon was still owned by Rex and Linda and they were more than happy to put this StomPa up, with laundry, shower, and computing service to boot! And a claimed recollection of my former 3' tall self as well, good stuff.


Jackson (butt)Hole on the other hand is surely exciting when the cliffs are skiable but fairly boring in the off season. That is of course if you've come from the RF valley and are pretty sick and tired of the sole issue a town seems to talk about, being growth and all it entails, when lots of rich people are there to grow it. Booooring. Anyway the night prior at Jackson Lake I was lucky enough to run into one Jack Mctee(?) who'd been out fishn' with two poles, just so the fish would start biten' on whichever one he switched from. Upon hereing the details of SlowBoken and determing similar east coast roots, Maine-VT, he proceeded to ransack his mini van, loading me up with granola bars, bottled water, and a banana! What a Guy. Oh and a generous moose woke me up and didn't stomp me for breakfast. Aaand Scooba speedily sent a replacement tyre to JH too- Generocitiosiousness-est!

And young Cody who hadn't much of a clue what he was getting into, riding his new rather large looking C'dale cross bike from W. Yellowstone Mt to Salt Lake City, had crashed and promptly lost intrest in said ride. He was unscathed and awaiting a ride on the south end of yellowstone and offered up his stash of powerbars while recovering with a cigarette. It of course doesn't take much to get me wound up about bikes, but he asked for, and duly recieved, all the web addresses and pertinent info on converting his bike into a reasonable touring machine and getting the crap off his back that toppled him into the ditch.


It was within the Yellowstone confines that I also met Jack and Monica, ex pat's who'd gone to Canada to prepare for the apocalypse 30 yrs ago and continued to live the dream as far as I could tell. Along with insiting that 27 was the best age, ("25 yer still dumb") they had me meet them at their camp down the road and fed me, well and hailed a young swiss couple to make it a party. I had Jack Daniels too offer, which was well recieved, ("the 'mericans didn't get it all wrong!") and Jack and I chatted deep into the night with the final advice being, "the only thing they can't take away is yer experiences, so you better make 'em count" check.


SOo yah, lots of generocity out here in SlowBoken, and a pleasure all. Seems that most of those I meet on the road are pretty unconcerened along with me about the journey and so forth, were as the contingent I communicate with from afar still may be a bit anxious as to my time line, (need to know basis.) And onwards I be stompn' - - peas Slappy from SlowBoken

1 comment:

tricerahops said...

so wait, you will or will not be going to the broncos game this weekend?